FAHS Feilding High School is located on Churcher Street in Feilding, New Zealand. Feilding is a rural town set in the beautiful and scenic Manawatu District. With a population of 14000, there is a good sense of community spirit.
Back in 1919, 20 acres was purchased on North Road. On this land in 1921 a brick building of four classrooms and a chemistry laboratory was erected. This was the birth of Feilding Agricultural High School.
In September 1931 Mr Tolley died. He was the real force behind the establishment of the school.
Our First Headmaster
Dr. Wild, the first headmaster of FAHS held degrees in science and the arts. He was also a prominent geologist and had been a lecturer in chemistry at Lincoln and at one time been on the staff of Christchurch Teachers' College.
Mr McKinnon followed LJ Wild as headmaster in 1947 until 1960. He had a difficult role to play in succeeding such an outstanding headmaster. However, Mr McKinnon assumed his new responsibilities with quiet dignity. He waited for a year or so, accepting the school as a going concern before he made changes that progress dictated.
FAHS - Feilding High School, originally named Feilding Agricultural High School was established in 1921. The founding of the school is celebrated annually on Commemoration Day in March.
The school motto "Kia Toa Kia Ngakaunui" was given to the school by Hector Booth, one of the founders of FAHS - Feilding High School. Translated from Maori this motto means "Have Courage, Desire Greatly".
The School Council is operated by the students, for the students. It was the first of its kind in New Zealand, paving the way for students to have a say in school issues across the country. The student council is responsible for the allocation of funds for the school's many clubs. The School President and Vice President are voted in annually by staff and students.